Pages

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Three-Alarm Venison Chili

   

  I wasn't really that fond of chili growing up (beans are gross when you're a kid, after all) but it's something I've really come to love in the past couple of years.  While my mom's "chili" is killer, it's not exactly traditional, and is really more of a kick-A beef and tomato stew with beans, rather than a classic chili.  I know you're saying, "hmmm, beef/tomato stew with beans...um, that'd be chili...) but just go with me on this one.  I'm wondering if maybe she doesn't use as much chili powder or perhaps uses kidney beans instead of beans in chili gravy.  At any rate, the taste, while delicious, isn't typical.  Anyway, I've been playing around with ingredients looking for a classic, fairly traditional chili recipe, and yesterday I came up with the following.  Thanks to Kris M., I had several packages of ground venison in the freezer, and I used one of these as my base. 

Ingredients
     -1.5 lbs ground venison
     -2 (28oz) cans HyVee diced tomatoes
     -4 (15.5oz) cans HyVee chili-style beans in chili gravy
     -19 Hungarian Wax peppers (between 2,500-8000 Scoville), incl. seeds and veins, sliced
     -5 TBSP chili powder
     -1 TBSP Plochmans mustard
     -1/2 TBSP horseradish
     -2 TBSP Garlic
     -1 large red onion, chopped
     -1/2 TBSP Cumin

     Technique doesn't get much easier than this.  Brown the beef if frozen (otherwise, just cook it along with the other ingredients) and then add the other ingredients.  Simmer over low heat for a couple of hours, and you're done.  The mustard and horseradish may seem like strange ingredients, but you can't pick them out in the final product.  I like them and think they add a bit of extra depth of flavor.  This chili came out spicy, but in no way overpowering.  I would call it medium in intensity.  This was a great way to use some of the (many) Hungarian Wax peppers we're harvesting from our garden this year.  Overall, quite tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...