Butternut Squash & Blue Cheese Casserole
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, cut into strips
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP sugar
- 1 pkg Buddig Honey Roasted Turkey (could totally be left out to make vegetarian, or you might substitute a flavorful, but delicatly smokey bacon, which might complement the blue cheese nicely)
- 1/4 cup + 2 TBSP crumbled blue cheese (Maytag or Gorgonzola…or whatever floats your boat)
- 2 TBSP dry white wine
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Put the squash in a single layer on a baking sheet and mist with olive oil (or brush each piece). Put in the oven to roast for about 30 minutes, until the squash is tender
- While the squash is cooking, caramelize the onions. Saute them in a saucepan/skillet with the 1 TBSP olive oil and 1 TBSP sugar. Cook them until they are brown and sticky. Set aside.
- Cut up the turkey into small pieces.
- Prepare a small baking dish (loaf pan size works well) by spraying with nonstick spray.
- When the squash is done roasting, remove from the oven and turn the temperature down to 350F.
- Put the squash in the prepared baking dish. Add the turkey, 1/4 cup blue cheese, onions, and wine . Mix well. Top with the extra blue cheese and put back in the oven. Bake for about 20 minutes. Then, turn on the broiler and bake another 5 minutes to brown the cheese on top.
- Serve warm!
- 2/3 cup couscous
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 4 TBSP walnuts, chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Cook the couscous according to package directions.
- Add oil, cranberries, and walnuts; mix. Top each serving with a sprinkle of cinnamon
**Both of these recipes came from Healthy Girl Cooking.